I've been getting acquainted well with my new surroundings. I got to visit some friends from my last visit and make some new friends. I've learned my way to different towns on the bus. I've gotten to hike some, and meet some amazing people.
This past month was dedicated to getting my footing in the town of Matagalpa. I have met people who have a house of prayer here. They are Nicaraguan and open their doors every day from 8-5 every day for anyone in the community to come and pray. It's such a sweet place to go outside of the house.
I've also met a few people who have been part of a Nicaraguan church that was established in Matagalpa over 100 years ago called Iglesia Elim.
I went to the music store in town one day to get a piece for my guitar that I had left. A guy who was visiting as well told me about this church that I have been able to attend a few times. One day a few weeks ago he asked if I would be able to go to a radio station as an English speaker to reach out to any English speakers. When we got there the lights had been shut off due to lack of funding, so naturally we all prayed together for the radio and the funding. The lights did get paid for and they had me back last week. I'm not much a public speaker, but it was a good time with the sweet women there who run the station.
Later I was taken to a lady whose office was at the same music store who also went to Elim. She helps administer a ministry that is very active in the community that reaches out to students, poorer families, troubled kids, etc. She asked if I would be willing to help teach English to raise up Christian interpreters. I was pretty excited about this as it was something I studied a little in college.
I have also been able to meet with a couple who have moved here from Texas who have started a farming ministry. Their desire is to train indigenous people to farm and eventually sell the land back to them after they have graduated the classes. I'm in awe of the impact this ministry could have on the people of Nicaragua.
I've also been helping my friend Melissa who runs a foster care house here in Matagalpa also. She is in the process of adopting a little girl that came to her a year ago. The social workers came to do a home study a lot sooner than expected so we got the house straightened up. The ministry of family seems to really be in favor of the adoption. We are just praying for the process to speed up so Melissa can enjoy a very much needed trip back to the states.
Two weeks ago I got really sick over one night, but continued having some stomach issues throughout the week. The stomach issues began to get pretty painful. For two nights the pain woke me up several times throughout the night . The third night I began reading about appendicitis and worried myself into a frenzy sleeping only 3 hours. I had Melissa take me to the hospital at 11 am, where we sat all day. The doctor pressed on different areas of my abdomen with the lower right side causing the most pain. Laying in the hospital all day was seriously worse than the pain I had endured. I only wanted to go home and sleep. After I convinced the doctor that the pain was not so bad, he let me go home with about 5 different prescriptions and direction to come back the next morning for a ultrasound.
The next day, I was happy to know I was only going to be in the hospital for a quick ultrasound and then I would be on my way. But when the combination of my ultrasound, the high concentration of bacteria in my blood, and the pain in my abdomen convinced my doctor I needed an appendectomy, my happiness quickly turned to fear. Jason and his wife Issa, who oversee the hostel I work at, took me to get a second opinion which confirmed the appendicitis. So I called my parents crying, signed some papers, and then went under the knife with some local anesthesia and sleeping medicine. The good part is that I made it out alive and without my appendix bursting because the doctor explained that it was very inflamed. Melissa was so gracious to take care of me at her house which currently had no other children, thank God. Her daughter has recently gotten a fever while she's taking care of me, but she is a trooper. I am so appreciative of everyone's prayers, kind words, and for Melissa, Jason, Issa. I have no idea what I would have done without them. I am so thankful to God for being with me and giving me peace through all of this. He is such a good God. I've been recuperating pretty quickly, I think and can only believe it is because of everyone's prayers, so thank you!
All in all, I think I have gone in head first to what it is like in this wonderful mountain town of Nicaragua. Even though October has started off a little rocky, I am excited to see what is next.
No comments:
Post a Comment